Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Back to Reality

After three days of "taking it easy" my lower back still seems to be in spasm, so instead of my usual laundry-dishes-sorting-organizing night activity I nestled into my bed and watched a movie. One of my childhood favorites is "The Secret Garden" which tells the story of a wealthy but neglected little girl that is orphaned and discovers many secrets in her uncle's Manor. Now, remember, I'm seven months pregnant here so my hormones are raging, but I found myself so emotional and engrossed in the story that I'm thinking "Why didn't this win an Oscar?" At the end of the movie (*spoiler alert*) a little boy reunites with his father who had avoided him because he was afraid of loving him. There I am, computer on my lap, absolutely bawling my eyes out as I watch little Colin reach for his father's cheek. I'm not exactly sure what the point is in writing this story, other than to communicate how perhaps out of whack (or just wonderfully sensitive) pregnancy makes me. Life is so FULL and emotional.

Our trip to the states was wonderful, if not a little (ok VERY) hectic and packed. We decided beforehand that the priority was spending time with family and friends, even if it meant a lot of schlepping and very little sleep. In Denver we got reconnect with my parents, brother, and a few other individuals that still feel like my family despite living so far away. Yehuda Or got absolutely doted upon, and we watched his development sky-rocket from all of the stimulation and love. We took a three day trip out to Minneapolis where we got to finally catch up with Eli's older sister and her family. It was so great to see Yehuda Or with a gang of cousins and it was a surprising treat that he loved "baby Shira" (his 7 month old cousin) and wanted to hold her and kiss her the entire time. I also did a one night trip to Florida with my mom and Yehuda Or. We got to spend some time with my grandfather which was very dear and felt very important. We also had the privilege of seeing one of my closest friends who is currently battling cancer. Her strength, optimism, and warmth (as well as her mother's) was so incredible, and it absolutely warmed my heart to be able to hug her and express how much I care about her during such a scary time.

So no, it wasn't a relaxing trip, but it was still invigorating and refreshing to step outside of our bubble of life and be so active and surrounded by so much love. Being away from Israel during the horrible events of the past month (Fogel murders, bus bomb, and rocket attacks) felt very strange. Oddly, it made me long for Israel and as soon as we stepped off the plane we couldn't stop saying "It's so good to be home." For the first time THIS feels like home and not "my other life." That realization is relieving and comforting.

After being on 8 planes in 3 weeks pregnant and with a 15 month old I feel like I can do anything. Temper tantrums with no AC and forty people giving you death glares? No problem. Having to force your toddler to walk through a metal detector by himself when you're about to miss your flight? That's nothing. If you need a boost in competence, travel with a toddler and a 6 pound weight strapped to your stomach. It's a ride. These are some points that stood out during our adventures:

1. The more food the better - especially horrible things like sugary cereal and chex mix. To continuously feed your child. Don't judge me.
2. Toys are not worth bringing - the plane is so stimulating and the new-ness is too distracting for blocks, legos, or anything they've seen before to be worth their time.
3. Thank G-d for individual movie screens! And kid's movies! Have you seen Lilo & Stitch? Because I have! 27 times!
4. The seatbelt is the best game ever. Eli and I took turns standing so that Yehuda Or could open and shut the seatbelt again and again and again and again...
5. Make friends with the flight attendants - they can make the flight a pleasant experience or absolute hell. One cranky flight attendant scoffed at me when I stood up to let Yehuda Or walk a bit. "Uchhhhh MAM, that's NOT really an OPtion, uchhhhhh."
6. When they come around with drinks always ALSO ask for a glass of water with whatever you get. The plane is so dehydrating, especially when you're pregnant. I found that the more water I drank, the more stamina I had.
7. Get to the gate on time to ensure that your stroller will be gate-checked! We had a 10 hour layover in London with no stroller. It was stressful to say the least.

I think that's it! Having an amazing husband who did the majority of the running around is obviously key ;). We are home now - finally settling in, although the jet-lag took 9 whole days to wear off. All three of us were awake until 2 am and sleeping until noon for a week. Pesach is around the corner and my back has suddenly decided to poop out on me. I'm trying my best to rest, relax, and not be too annoyed. But staying off my feet is very difficult with an active 15 month old. Thank G-d, we are all healthy and well. I hope everyone has a meaningful and uplifting Pesach! Chag Sameach!

4 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading this, and thanks for the traveling pointers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great travel tips!!!
    And perhaps your backache is a message to lighten up on the cleaning and focus on your own exodus ~ Pesach in Israel, how wonderful!
    (A flight attendant who expects a 15 month old to sit in his seat for without getting up is obviously not a parent...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great story. You write with such passion and emotion. Wish I could have seen you when you were in the states. Unfortunately, Texas is not exactly around the corner from Denver.

    Please know that I am following your blogs and Yehuda Or's pictures and movies. Just loved watching him take his first steps. Pop is still talking about how incredibly smart he is. Thanks for taking the time to see him. It was such a mitzvah. xxxoooAuntie L

    ReplyDelete
  4. love you and miss you so much! love reading your perceptions of life. Your biggest fan.

    ReplyDelete