Saturday, February 5, 2011

Moving On

Yehuda Or has started giving random kisses. It's probably the most delicious experience in the world. He leans forward, presses his lips together, and goes "mmmm" and then rams his face into mine. It's fantastic.

This kid has been changing so much lately - in one week he can learn 15 new words, master some new motor-development skill, and understand 5 new concepts. What can I do in a week? I actually just read that by age 3, 85-90% of a person's brain structure is formed for life. The brain development and stimulation that impact the brain capacity has either taken place or it hasn't. That means that Yehuda Or is doing SO much every second. It's amazing to think that everything he experiences means so much - nothing isn't processed by that busy brain of his. I thought I would use this blog post as an opportunity to chart his milestones so far. If this is totally boring to you, please feel free to skip it. I guess it's starting classes again (in Human Development) that inspired this post. I just think it's so cool to see how quickly a baby changes! So here we go:

8 weeks: first smile that was an actual reaction (to me making some silly sound)
3 months: first full out laugh
4 months: first taste of food (apple sauce)
5 months: first roll both from tummy to back and from back to tummy
6 months: began crawling
6.5 months: first 2 bottom teeth
7 months: 4 top teeth
8 months: began pulling himself up into a standing position on furniture
9 months: began cruising (walking along furniture)
11 months: started calling both Eli and I some form of "Ma" or "Ba" (interchangeable)
12 months: first real, consistent word: "Clock"
12.5 months: started taking two or three steps all by himself
13 months: so many words! Among my favorites are apple ("appo"), ketchup ("pepup"), and shut ("chut!")
13.5 months: first real temper tantrum... not so fun...

Ok, now that we're all up to date on Yehuda Or's development... I want to share that we are officially moving to Efrat! We are so excited. I've begun the packing process, which always feels daunting, but after doing this twice already I know that slow and steady wins the race. I feel like a really great chapter of our lives is around the corner. Of course I'm obsessing about little details, like what color to paint the new living room. If I go with a light peach, will it be too boring? If I go with a gray-blue, will it be too boyish? Ah, the catastrophic painting possibilities are endless. Luckily, I just found out my upstairs neighbor is an interior designer, so the answer to this huge dilemma might be just upstairs. Ok, jokes aside, we're so so happy to be moving. The people so far have been incredibly friendly, welcoming, and helpful. I can't wait to settle in and get ready for the new addition to our family!

Speaking of which, I've started feeling hiccups, which is just the sweetest feeling. It's like I'm a human microwave and popcorn is being lightly popped in my stomach. Except it's my child! I giggle every time.
Wishing everyone a chodesh and shavuah tov!

4 comments:

  1. i'm missing everythinggggggggggggg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shavuah Tov, sweet niece.
    Human Development is best studied when you have a baby!!!!!
    Has he said "Auntie Ruchel" yet???
    Glad you've found a new place and I c an't wait to see you!
    Love and kissies, Great-Auntie Ruchel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah, I cant beleive yehuda Or is getting big. Its amazing how fast kids grow. has he said Ima, Abba yet? i hope u like Efrat, love to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omggggg....make a room for me in your new home!! love all the good news, keep it coming :)

    ReplyDelete